Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lippincott: Chevron

Today is the second installment in my series on logos by Lippincott. Today I'd actually like to highlight a logo that is sort of two logos. The Chevron logo was designed originally by Lippincott, but they also re-designed the logo more recently. I love that they are the force behind both logos. It's great that Chevron had enough confidence in their work to hire them for the re-design. Here are both the before and after logos:














My favorite thing about this set of logos is simply that Lippincott designed them both. Chevron could've decided they didn't like Lippincott's original logo and gone to another designer or firm to get a re-design, but they chose to stick with Lippincott, which I think is really cool. There are a few specific things I like about the logo though:

  • The simplicity. It's not overly complicated, and like I read somewhere, it leaves you with just one idea ("chevron") as opposed to many concepts.
  • The way the type and the image work together. They don't look like two separate entities, but really work as one logo.
  • The subtlety of the redesign. I guess I agree that the logo could've used some updating, but I like that they kept the general feeling of the original logo and didn't go for an entirely different concept. The new logo, despite its prevalent gradient drop shadow stuff, definitely looks more 21st century and marks Chevron as a brand that is "now."
  • The change in type color. The type still worked fine in black, but I think the choice of blue type only increases how well it works with the image.
What do you all think of this logo?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!