Monday, June 18, 2012

Artist Spotlight: Brent Couchman


It's been awhile since I've done an Artist Spotlight post, but I still love the concept of highlighting the work of skilled artists and designers that I come across online. Today's artist spotlight is Brent Couchman. I really like the work he's done for Fossil as well as some of his other projects. He has a playful, vintage, easygoing style.

Here are some notebooks he designed for Fossil. I love the color scheme and the down to earth style. These are just so cool. I'd love to have a set myself. Besides the actual notebooks, I love the idea of designing for stationery and other products. It's one thing to design a brochure that a business prints, but it's a different and  (I think) very exciting thing to design something that is mass-produced for people to buy. I'd love to do that one day. Like Brent Couchman did with these notebooks.



One of my favorite things in Brent's portfolio is this logo he designed for a custom tote bag maker. It's laid back and homey, but elegant at the same time. The color scheme is funky, and I love the custom lettering. It's fancy, but the slightly irregular lines make it seem a little retro and a lot down to earth, which I really like.


I love some of the things in Brent's play category, too. His West Coast typography piece is really fun. It looks like he crafted the letters in paper and then photographed it: way cool. I love the idea of using handmade elements in design. I like the way the paper makes shadows on the background.


This typography piece is really nice, too. I love the way the letters fit together to make a real piece of art. This is more than just words typed out (although those can be lovely); it's a purposeful arrangement.


This is a different style but also very nice. The tiles remind me of a pegboard toy I had as a kid. I like the precision of the curves on the letter forms, as well as the gradient-like color scheme.


One last thing: this bike illustration is just so much fun. I love the way the bikes are seamlessly intertwined. And the white pattern on the textured tangerine colored background is a subtle but pleasing contrast.


Do you like Brent Couchman's work?

HT: Design Work Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!