Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jenny Volvovski: From Cover to Cover

Thanks to Design Work Life, I recently came across a project called From Cover to Cover. Jenny Volvovski, one of the designers at Also, designs a new cover for books she reads. I haven't heard of all of the books she's read, so I'm not necessarily recommending them, but I love the idea of the project and it's fun to look at Jenny's different designs.

Here's a cover for a book I actually just finished, Crime and Punishment. I love the typography in this. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like she did some paper cutting with a craft knife and photographed it. The shadows in the title are definitely appropriate for the story line of the book.


I love the way she interpreted the title of this book using type. The thin lines of the font are really nice, and I love the way some of them extend so naturally. I like how the letters intertwine with each other while still being readable.


The illustration on this cover is really interesting. I love the overlapping, layered look. And I think it's really interesting that she put the text underneath the pattern. Usually I would tend to just stick the text on top, but I like that Jenny came up with a more interesting plan than that. And yet the text is still readable even though it's covered by the pattern.


I'm sure most of you will recognize this one! I really like the watercolor looking circles. When I think of watercolors, I definitely don't think of using all black, and I like that Jenny used a style with a color it's not typically associated with. I also really like the contrast in this cover.


What do you think of Jenny's book cover project? Do you have a favorite cover?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!