Monday, August 9, 2010

Book Snapshot: The Death of Ivan Ilyich

A book about death sounds rather depressing, doesn't it?  But Leo Tolstoy apparently thought that it was an important topic to think about it, and I do too.  That's why I'm glad he wrote this book, and why I'm glad I read it.


Although this book is quite short in length, it has a very deep message.  It's compact and focused, and examines the meaning of life.

The book begins with the announcement that Ivan Ilyich has died.  It describes his funeral, and the way his friends and family respond to his death.  Even from the beginning of the book, it's easy to tell that the society Ivan Ilyich lived in was permeated by a love for material pleasures.  After establishing that, Tolstoy goes back in time and talks about Ivan Ilyich's life, which, similarly, was filled with a pursuit of pleasure and monetary gain.  Finally, it turns to the time when Ivan Ilyich was dying, and discusses his thoughts about what life really means.  He wonders what a meaningful, "good" life is, and begins to think that maybe he hasn't achieved it.  The end is rather cryptic, but it has a general feeling of hope: could there be one last hope for a dying man who lived his life for himself and himself alone?

I would recommend this book because, even though it's by no means a light read, it clearly shows the dissatisfaction that people feel when they have lived their lives pursuing selfish gain.  While the message is someone of a dark one, it can and should point readers to the fact that despair at having lived a pointless life is not the end of the story: Jesus died to redeem selfish people just like Ivan Ilyich.  And ultimately, me, you, and each person alive would've been just like him apart from the grace of God.  I know I would have.  But, thanks to God's mercy alone, I have a different story.  Because Jesus died for my sins, my life doesn't have to be pointless like Ivan Ilyich's was; it can be a life of worship to God.  And even though I fail hopelessly every day, His grace is always enough and He will help me to keep on growing in my love for Him.  In addition to that, this book reminds me that death doesn't have to be a fearful thing for those who are Christians; we have eternity with God to look forward to.

Quick notes: The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy is an insightful, concise book that will make you think about the reality of death and hopefully also point you to the greater reality of eternal life after death through the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Recommended for ages 15+ (beware of some inappropriate content).
To those of you who stuck with this little post series and read all my reviews, thank you so much!  They were very fun to write.  I hope some of you are encouraged to read these books.  I think they are all worth reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!