Saturday, August 7, 2010

Book Snapshot: My Name is Asher Lev

Welcome to part two of my book snapshot post series!  This time, I'll talk about one of my current favorite books, My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok.  When I picked up this book, I had no idea it would be what I think is the most life-changing fiction book I've read to date.


And the cover has excellent graphics on it, too, which is always a plus for me.  Actually, I checked out this edition from the library on purpose because it had such a cool cover.

Back to the point, though.  This really is one of the best books I've read.  It's about a Jewish boy named Asher growing up in post-WWII Brooklyn, New York.  His father works for the Rebbe, traveling and "helping the Jews in Russia."  Asher, on the other hand, is more interested in art.  He has a gifting for it, and he compulsively draws all the time.  The book focuses on Asher's journey as he grows up to be a man, and how he tries to find out how to reconcile his Jewish heritage with his all-encompassing love for art.  It's a very intense, "thinking" kind of book, because you're right with Asher in his mental struggle the whole time.

It was very interesting for me to read about how Asher tries to fit Judaism and art into his world.  But even more than that, this book impacted me because I saw Asher's confusion and lack of guidance in life.  Ultimately, he didn't have a defining purpose in life.  It seems from the description in the book that, for Asher, religion was more tradition and culture than an actual passion to know God.

In some ways, I think I'm a lot like Asher.  I love being creative and doing my own kind of art - graphic design and other creative endeavors.  But in a very essential way, I'm night and day different from Asher.  By the grace of God, I do have a hope and a defining purpose in life.  My love for art doesn't have to define me the way it did Asher; it can simply fit into the "big picture:" Jesus died for my sins and ransomed me from the bonds of sin.  I'm God's child now, and my ultimate goal in life is His glory.  So art is just another thing I can do for God's glory.

I loved this book because it showed me what I would have been apart from the grace of God.  In a sense, all secular literature does this, but I found that the story of Asher Lev hit me closer to home.  And it made me so grateful for grace.  Grace that saved me, grace that sustains me, and grace that motivates me to want to all things for God's glory instead of my own...which is a desire that could only be born of grace and never my own nature.

Quick notes: My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok is an intriguing book that provides a well thought out commentary on human nature and art.  Recommended for ages 16+ (beware of some inappropriate things and don't be afraid to skip certain pages if needed).

Check back on Monday for the final installment of the series: a review of The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!