Thursday, August 5, 2010

Praising God

Last night, I read Psalm 147-150.  Those chapters talk a lot about praising God.  And what I noticed in the verses was that the commands to praise God are never conditional.  The psalmist never says, "praise the Lord when things are going well," or "praise the Lord when you have nothing to be sad about."  He just says "praise the Lord."  I think the reason for this is that God's worthiness of praise is unchanging, and it doesn't depend on our circumstances.  God is just as worthy of prasise, and just as good, when we're hurting as when we're rejoicing.  So we have reason to praise him when we're hurting as well as in the easy times.  This really encouraged me.

"Praise the Lord!  For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting."
- Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord!  Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the godly!  Let Israel be glad in his Maker; let the children of Zion rejoice in their King!"
- Psalm 149:1-2

"Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness!  Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!  Praise the Lord!"
- Psalm 150: 2, 6

This also reminds me of a great song we've been singing at church lately, "Desert Song" by Brooke Fraser.  Here are some of the lyrics.


This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness, or trial, or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

All of my life in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

I need to be reminded that I always have a reason to worship, no matter how I feel or what I'm going through.  God is good, and He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for my sins.  My greatest problem is taken care of and I'm a child of God.

Isn't that a good reason to praise Him?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!