Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book Recommendation

So awhile ago I posted about what books I wanted to read this summer. I haven't read all of them, but I have been reading, and today I wanted to share a book recommendation for one I just finished. I know this has nothing to do with graphic design, but I still wanted to post it. :)

I just finished Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung. I really enjoyed it, and some of his thoughts were so helpful to me. Kevin DeYoung is a great writer - I love the way he says things clearly and boldly, but also graciously.


The main gist of what I got out of the book is that God has my life all planned out, but it's not my job to figure out His plan beforehand. It's not a secret or a riddle I have to solve. GOD is the one who is in control and reigning and promises to work all things for my good (Rom. 8:28). This is such a helpful, and as the title says, liberating approach to God's will.

I thought I'd share a few quotes that I liked from the book. I hope they make you want to read the whole thing. :)

We must live our lives believing that all of our plans and strategies are subject to the immutable will of God. Therefore, we should be humble in looking to the future because we don’t control it; God does.

Anxiety is simply living out the future before it gets here.

God wants us to stop obsessing about the future and trust that He holds the future.

God never assures us of health, success, or ease. But He promises us something even better: He promises to make us loving, pure, and humble like Christ. In short, God's will is that you and I get happy and holy in Jesus.

Worry and anxiety are not merely bad habits or idiosyncrasies. They are sinful fruits that blossom from the root of unbelief....Worry and anxiety reflect our hearts' distrust in the goodness and sovereignty of God.

...we can stop pleading with God to show us the future, and start living and obeying like we are confident He holds the future.

If you've read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. And if you haven't, I'd recommend that you read it or if you're younger, talk to your parents and see if they think you should read it. :)

Also, please check out this book at Barnes and Noble, and Kevin DeYoung's blog. You can also download chapter one for free right here.

1 comments:

sarah b said...

I love those quotes! It sounds like I really good book. It's comforting to know that our future is completely in God's hands. A life without anxiety sounds really really good! :)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!