Saturday, July 9, 2011

Brilliant

I ran across this rubber band packaging design on this blog, and I was "wowed." I love this! Everything about it is quite stellar, both conceptually and aesthetically. Take a look at some pictures, and then I'll explain why I like it.






I'll categorize my reasons for loving this design into two sections: idea and appearance.

Idea
  • This idea is fresh and unique. I've never heard of anyone else thinking of appropriate and beautiful packaging for rubber bands.
  • The idea is closely tied to the product. The "stretchy" nature of the box and the type are great.
  • And yet, the idea is not overly literal. It doesn't picture a rubber band on the outside of the box. Instead, it implies what a rubber band does through the style of packaging, and reinforces it by including an actual rubber band on the outside.
Appearance
  • The appearance is simple and eye-catching. Each package only uses two colors (white + color), and the whole system combined only uses four. 
  • The use of basic colors (I call them "restaurant crayon colors") is a little different because of the exact shades, and looks more unique than usual.
  • The typography is consistent (only one font - hooray!), and the way it is stretched to the shape of the box is executed very well.
What do you all think of this design? I'd love your thoughts on it as well! You can read more about it here.

    2 comments:

    sarah b said...

    These are so cool! I love how they list all the ways you can use each kind of rubber band on the back of the package. And I love the colors! They go well together. I noticed that the "light" rubber bands have a really light color for the packaging, the "regular" have a kind of. . . regular color I guess, and the "strong" have a seemingly stronger color. I thought that was cool.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Elisabeth said...

    These are awesome!! I love how the stronger rubber bands "squish" the box more. :D

    Post a Comment

    Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!