Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Interesting Use of Helvetica

A logotype using Helvetica that is more than just typed letters. Is that possible? Apparently so, because the identity for ISEM does just that. It uses a legendary typeface in a new and interesting way. Take a look at the basic logo, and the secondary icon.




The first image, the main logo, is almost unreadable, which at first seems like a serious pitfall. But since it has the orange circle to accompany it with the initials of the company in a readable typeface (just regular Helvetica), I think it works. I personally would stumble a bit over the lack of clarity of the letters, but I certainly applaud the creativity. While Helvetica is a gorgeous font on its own, for logos, it's got to be a challenge to use this font and at the same time, do something that hasn't been done a million times. I think this designer pulled it off.

Here are some images of the application of the logo on different print materials.





Overall, I like the application of this logo. The color scheme is simple and recognizable, and the use of the two versions of the logo is good as well. The patterns are a nice touch as well, but I almost think there's just a little too much going on in some of these designs, particularly the second and third images. The patterns are a good design element, but so many different patterns make it a little busy for my tastes.

So I guess my review of this logo is mixed... very creative and well-executed, but with a few slight disadvantages: the lack of emphasis on the readable initials, and the many patterns. But I do really like this logo for its creative and fun twist on Helvetica. I'd love to know what you all think of this logo, too!

Source for images and more information can be found here at Identity Designed.

P.S. If you haven't already, please enter my business card giveaway! All you have to do is comment on this post. Right now we only have 6 entries, and we need at least 10 to keep the giveaway from being canceled. It ends July 31st.

1 comments:

sarah b said...

I agree with you! The only reason I figured out it said "ISEM" was because you said it at the beginning. I couldn't figure it out :D And you're right, the patterns do make it a little to busy. But I love the orange and black! Normally I don't love that color combination because it reminds me of Halloween, but I like it here! :)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!