Monday, July 25, 2011

Vintage Type Book

My mom found this vintage type book at a book sale recently and I love it. It's so cool. Any book full of typography would excite me, but the fact that it's both vintage and has some of the typefaces I'm familiar with makes it even better.

Even the cover is neat. Love the emphasis on typography and the vintage look.


And the inside is just full of excellent type, and a lot of pretty famous typefaces. Take a look:

Garamond [serif]

Futura [sans serif]

Caslon [serif]

Cooper Black [serif]
Such pretty type. I love it...Cooper Black and Futura especially. They are excellent typefaces. But one of my favorite parts of the book is how there are pages with pretty big letters for different fonts that look like posters. When you look at the whole page, this is what they look like.




Those three pages are so neat. I would like to find some way to hang them up on a wall, but I don't want to tear the pages out, photos seem to be tricky with angles and blurriness, and scanning sometimes leaves an unpleasant texture on top of images. I'm a bit stuck. I guess I'll have to keep experimenting with photos until I get ones good enough to print. :) Someday maybe I'll have typography prints on my wall.

I'd love to know what you think of my cool vintage find! Do you have a favorite font from the pictures?

2 comments:

sarah b said...

Wow! A whole book of typography! I love those last three pages, too. Good luck in finding a way of making posters of them! :D

Jalynn said...

What a cool find!! I like Caslon and the font on the page above Futura. =) Typography posters sound awesome! I can't think of anything but scanning... the Futura Bold scan looks pretty good, so I bet you'll be able to figure it out! You might try putting a sheet of paper on the back side of the page you're scanning so you won't get words from other pages (like in the Bodoni scan).

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!