Monday, July 18, 2011

Hillsong Music + Graphics

I've been enjoying some songs by Hillsong recently. Or Hillsong United or Hillsong Live. I'm not really sure why they seem to have such different names - I just know it's all related to this worship group in Australia. :) They do some very excellent and encouraging songs. I posted a playlist of some of my favorites on my Tumblr recently, and I thought I'd post it here too along with some of their album covers. Here's the playlist...pick a song, click play, and listen while you look at the album covers!






Songs playing? Okay, great. :) Here are some neat album covers from Hillsong...


I like the unique juxtaposition in this cover. String art and a vintage globe-map looking thing? Sure wouldn't have thought of that. But it's very creative and eye-catching. I love the unique application of typography. The designer didn't just pick a font and type the title; he/she created the type.


What I like about this one is the collage look, and how the photographs are blended in with doodle style illustration. The doodles/college feeling with the photographs give it a fun feel, but also make it seem "real" because you're looking at pictures of actual musicians.


Again, the collage element of this one is really neat. I love how the details are there, but not focused on. They're slightly obscured and calmed down by the colors and the big X in the middle. The typography is really neat, too. I love how the "United" seems old and distressed, and the smaller typewriter font is cool.


I like the use of shapes in this last one. It's a collage again, but it has a different look than the previous two - it's more graphic and modern. All the pictures are great - they could be quite busy, but because they're in one color, it's not as overwhelming. I also like how the candid photos emphasize that this CD is a live album.

I'd love to know what you all think of the designs, and the songs I shared! Did you have a favorite cover I shared? Or if you listened to one of the songs, which one did you pick?

2 comments:

Jalynn said...

Desert Song, Stronger, Hosanna... some of my favorites!! Have you ever heard "Like Incense/Sometimes by Step"? It's a beautiful song. It could be considered repetitive, but it really gets you meditating on the main point :)

Carrie said...

Yes, I have! I LOVE that song. I actually made a poster of it here: http://www.carrieannedesign.com/2011/06/song-poster.html

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!