Monday, January 24, 2011

Lego Logo: Follow Up

Hi everyone.  So I just wanted to let you know that, even though I don't reply to every comment you all make on my blog, I read all of them and I love them.  Today I wanted to highlight a few great comments in particular that were made about my Lego post..  Several of you blog readers had great thoughts about the design of the logos, and I wanted to take the time to highlight two in particular, and I also wanted the chance to respond to the comments myself.

First, I think we all need another look at the Lego logo.


Sarah said about the Lego logo...
I actually don't care for the design of the Lego logo (:P). One thing I was thinking about the type (this is my weak graphic design self coming out) is that it's all puffy and rounded, while the actual Lego blocks are very straight and clear cut, if you know what I mean. :D Not sure if that matters that much. :P

I would definitely not call that a comment from a weak graphic design self! :)  Great, though, Sarah.  I hadn't considered the fact that the type doesn't mimic the design of Lego bricks.  You have a very good point that straight type may have been more appropriate, and I agree.  The trick would be to find a straight typeface that still looks playful and kid-like, but it could probably be done...it will be interesting to see where the Lego logo goes in the future...maybe they'll incorporate a straighter font!

Chichi said about the Lego logo...
I love that logo too! very cool! one thing is the "G" looks really weird, not sure why yet :P

Interesting how Sarah and Chichi had such different reactions!  Chichi, I took a second look at the "G" in the Lego logo, and I think I know what you mean about it looking weird.  To me at least, it feels like both ends of the G are a little too curled in.  Usually, G's tend to be a little less spiral-looking.  Maybe that's it?

Any further thoughts on the Lego logo?  This has been a fun one to discuss, so I'd love to hear more comments if you have any!

5 comments:

sarah b said...

I didn't notice anything about the "G", but now that I see it, it does look a little too curled in! :D

a said...

That's an interesting thought concerning how well the logo reflects the characteristics of the actual toy. Having played with legos for countless hours as a young tike, my fingers can testify to their lack of contours or puffiness. :-)

However, if you keep the history of the company in mind, the logo actually makes a lot of sense. When the company was first started, it produced wooden toys that were a much better reflection of the logo. Look up the classic wooden duck by Lego, and you'll see what I mean.

Definitely interesting.

sarah b said...

in response to the 2nd comment here:

i never knew they made wooden toys! so i guess it does sorta make sense that the font is puffy... :)

chichi said...

yeah, i think that's it! the rest of the letters are so short, but the "G" is really long.

maybe the font is puffy to make the overall appearance a little less sharp to the eye? hahah i have no idea why they made it like that :P

Kat said...

I'm going to guess the "puffy" type is meant to be softer/more rounded than the actual toy intentionally. I'm sure this helps market to parents who want to feel like it's a safe toy. It could also help it be instantly recognized as a children's brand also. Not that Lego's aren't for adults :)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!