Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rambling

Usually my posts have a clear topic, something specific I want to say or show you all.  But today I just want to ramble about a few things.

I really like these patchwork embroidery hoop things I saw on Etsy.  Aren't they fun, with all the cool colors and patterns?  I'm thinking it might be fun to try something like this sometime..


And recently I took pictures of a neat vintage lettering guide I have.  I love the colors and the typography in this... ahh.  Here is the cover.  Isn't it so fun and retro?


I love the rainbow stripes.  And inside are all sorts of great lettering ideas, which means some great typography.  Here is one cursive page that I just love.  This typeface is so elegant, and a little old fashioned, too.


I think the little arrows showing you how to make letters like that add a really charming touch.  It reminds me of the font Operating Instructions.  Here's what it looks like...



And you can download it right here!

But anyway, back to my vintage lettering guide.  Here are a couple more images of the inside pages.  This one is a nice blackletter type font...


And this loopy, grade-school looking one is very cute.  It definitely has that retro feeling to it.


And here's the inside cover.  Even the typography there is cool!


And I love that little bit of info. about being a letter-er (if that's a word): "For steady employment, few occupations offer the opportunities enjoyed by poster artists who are able to do good lettering at a commercial speed."  My, how things have changed... now there really isn't any such thing as someone who does lettering for posters!  It's all computerized.

To complete this post full of randomness, I want to tell you about one more thing...a game that I played and really liked.

It's called Luck of the Draw.


I like it because you can just have fun doodling pictures with friends.  And you don't have to be a great artist to win.  Basically, each person draws something that has been pre-determined by a subject card, and then all the players vote to award category prizes to the best drawing in particular categories... the ones mentioned in the picture are "Neatest" and "Most Likely to End Up Hanging on a Refrigerator."  Fun stuff.

Well, that's all for today!  I hope you were not too confused by the many different topics in this post. :)

4 comments:

sarah b said...

I enjoyed looking at all this stuff! that game looks fun. :D

Lucebow said...

I love the patchwork embroidery! Creative and funky!

Anonymous said...

That typography book is so cool! I'm not a great artist so now I am thinking about adding Luck of the Draw to our family collection of board games. :)

hannah joy said...

fifth picture- really like the lettering! :)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!