Saturday, January 8, 2011

Typewriter Thoughts

I love my typewriter so much.  It's so much fun to look at and to use.


I've talked about it here before, I know.  But today I want to go a little deeper into typewriter-ness.  There's lots of fun things to look at and think about when typewriters are the topic.

First of all, I want to talk about typewriter type.  What kind of feeling do you think typewriter type has?  How is it different from a serif font or a sans serif font (although, technically, most typewriter fonts are serif fonts)?  For example purposes, I will use a typewriter font, but type from an actual typewriter would work just as well.

Here's some text written in a typewriter font.


What does it look like to you?  I'd say it looks vintage, antique, casual, and maybe even rustic.  Another word I might add to that list would be imperfect.  I think that's the center of typewriter type and fonts - they're not "just so."  There's room for a few mistakes or inconsistencies, and that's what makes typewriter type so charming.

And, come to think of it, it's not just the type that comes from typewriters that is charming.  I think the typewriters themselves look pretty vintage and happy on their own.  I found some neat typewriter items on the web that I'd like to share with you.

The first one is this ultra-cool notecard from EvenAndy on Etsy.


Isn't that so adorable?  I really like that the typewriter is black - it looks different from mine and it really stands out against the tan background.  I also like the more modern take on the typewriter design.  It's not earthy or "rusty" looking - it's pure retro. (Find it HERE.)

And then there's this neat art print from FarnumInkStudio (also on Etsy - can you tell I like Etsy just a little bit?).


I love the colors in this!  And a red typewriter?  Now that is really cool.  I like the retro feeling of the photography, too - it has that "film" look to it, almost like lomography.  (You can get it HERE.)

One more thing to show you... a little notebook from Two Guitars.  Isn't it cute?


I really like it.  This notebook definitely has the rustic, down-to-earth feeling that typewriters can have.  I love that stamped typewriter design - it definitely shows the "imperfect," almost messy side of typewriters.  (Find it right HERE.)

There's one more think I want to share with you all about typewriters, and that's a list of five good free typewriter fonts.  Please click on each font name and you'll be taken to a font download page.
  1. 1942 Report
  2. Another Typewriter
  3. Hammer Keys
  4. Typewriter Condensed
  5. Teletype 
Also check out the typewriter categories at Dafont and FontSquirrel for even more fonts!

Have a great day! :)

1 comments:

Katie said...

So... typewriters are some of my favorite things ever. And a red one? Pshaww!

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!