Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Matter


I ran across Matter recently (through Design*Sponge) and I think their stuff is so cool. It's not graphic design - more like industrial design, I'd say. It's a store with all kinds of gorgeous designer items in it that are insanely expensive. So I won't be buying anything from here for my new room. :) But design-wise, it's a great source of inspiration. Many of the things are more minimal in style, which I like, but they're also creative and funky - by no means boring! I'll share a few neat items and my thoughts on them, and then I invite you to check out Matter.

First up, this neat rug. I love the combination of doodle style, woodgrain, and fun, happy colors. The use of a classic grid pattern is neat, but the way it intersects with the handmade, artistic pattern is interesting and unusual. I like the slightly muted yet still cheerful colors. They're pretty basic colors (red, yellow, green, blue) but in less obvious shades.

Wood Rug | Designed by Richard Woods | On Matter HERE

This is without a doubt the coolest piggy bank I've ever seen. It's not pig-shaped, but it's so pretty! It's simple and elegant and really draws attention to the pennies inside. I like how it's entirely translucent and the way that, even though the bottom of the bank is flat, the whole thing still looks rounded and spherical.

Bubble Bank | Designed by Leon Ransmeier and Andrew Hughes | On Matter HERE

This table has a simple, minimalist look to it, but it's not stark or uninviting. The wood provides a bit of warmth to it. I also like the fun pop of red on the table legs - that adds a bit of bold, funky style. I like the combination of simplicity, warmth, and funkiness. All of those things together make for an excellent table.

Range Life | Designed by Josiah Tagaki | On Matter HERE

There's something about this chaise that is really fun. I'm not sure why this came to mind, but it looks to me like a rocking chair that doesn't rock. Don't the legs look a bit like that? Anyway, I think what I like most about this piece is how the seat is nested into the wood frame. That's a creative design idea and more unusual than just drilling four legs into the bottom of the seat.

Adna Chaise | Designed by David Weeks | On Matter HERE

This next lamp is pretty cool. It looks like a high-end version of K'nex. I think the fact that this lamp is so very detailed and ornate is interesting given the fact that it's also somewhat simple and minimalistic, especially in color. The combination is a good one.

Raimond Zafu | Designed by Raimond Puts | On Matter HERE

This final item is another interesting combination. I see a combination here of old + new. The minimal style looks modern and trendy, but at the same time, this looks a lot like a simple version of a stone cathedral from centuries ago. That connection of old and new is interesting.

Arch Stool | Designed by Brian Richer and Kei Ng | On Matter HERE

So those are a few Matter finds for you - what do you think of them? If you visit Matter, feel free to let me know what things you like.

1 comments:

Aimee said...

I love that bubble bank. I was always puzzled by the piggy banks that wouldn't let you see how much money you have in them! This seems like a way better solution. =)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!