Thursday, November 4, 2010

Clothing Tag Art

I don't shop at American Eagle Outfitters, but I did happen to buy a shirt from them at a thrift store recently.  I noticed that the shirt still had the tag on, and of course, being the graphic design nerd that I am, I examined the tag and was happy intrigued by the wonderful design of the clothing tag.  There are two main portions to the tag, and I'll tell you why I like each of them.  First, the tag itself.


Ah, the typogrpaphy!  Don't you just love it?  I sure do.  I'm not sure what the main font is, but it's some kind of all-caps serif font with an old-school style that's wonderful, simple, and has a bit of a vintage edge to it.  The second font, unless I'm mistaken, is Gill Sans - a classic sans serif typeface that is so simple and useful.  I love this font.  As a side note, too, isn't American Eagle's web domain name the coolest?  A two letter website address is very neat.  In my opinion.  I also really like the parchment paper that the tag is printed on.  So funky with a combination of modern and vintage.

Here's the reverse of the tag...more typographic goodness and a great layout.  Wow!


I really like the layout of tis tag.  The bold font for the information is really interesting, and I like the emphasis on the somewhat insignificant style numbers - they make the tag feel important and offical in a playful way.  The placement of the barcode is also brilliant.  I like how it's used as a design element along with lines already present in the tag, instead of being just "stuck on" in an awkward way.

And what I think I like even more than the tag is the little envelope that the extra button for the shirt came in.  How cute is this? 


I love this little envelope.  The font is so brilliant - vintage handwriting, yet organized enough to be sophisticated and not amateurish.  The needle illustration is excellent, and it's connected to the needle illustration perfectly.  I like the placement of the American Eagle emblem as well.  The way the whole design is centered with plenty of white space around is also very nice.

The reverse side sports that wonderful American Eagle font again.


The other side of the envelope is a little less interesting than the front, but the font carries over the feeling from the rest of the design elements on the tag set.  Also notice that nice string that attaches the envelope to the shirt - not one of those little plastic things; a real string!  What a concept!  I think the string definitely adds to the rustic feeling of the envelope.

Here's one more picture, just becuase I really truly love this envelope.  It also lets you see that it's attached with a safety pin!  And not just any safety pin...this one is distressed metal that is just one more detail contributing to the overall graphic design image of the tag.


Now, by this point, if you've made it this far, you're probably thinking either "that design is so cool," or "she is such a design geek!"  In my opinion, both are true.  But I'd love to hear your thoughts in more detail!  What do you think of this tag design?

Photos taken by me and edited minimally in Photoshop.

1 comments:

sarah b said...

i am thinking "that design is so cool" and "she is such a AWESOME design geek!" :) love it!

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!