Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Rainbow Week: Green

Did you know that when I was a little girl, my favorite color was olive green?  Yes, olive green as in the color of army uniforms.  Not the typical color for a little girl to like.  But I loved it.  So green holds a special place in my heart.


When I thought about it, I realized that green is probably one of the most versatile and widely used colors of the rainbow.  It reminds us of spring with it's cheery freshness, which is the general interpretation of green.  See this example:

{photo by me}

But besides that, green is the color of Kermit the Frog.  It means "go" on a traffic light.  It reminds us of Christmas, especially when paired with red, green, gold, and silver.  And then there's the whole "go green" idea - in that situation, green means eco-friendly.  And come to think of it, why aren't traffic lights symbols for saving trees?  It just seems logical to me... going green, going on a green light...?

But green can also have beachy, summery associations, such as palm trees and limes.  And then there's grapes and apples, too (cheerful fruits), not to mention garden salad, and all those "green vegetables" like peas and stringbeans, dreaded by almost all children everywhere.

But, thankfully, stringbeans is not one of the cool green things I found on the internet for today.  I do have some finds ot show you, though.  Here they are.


1. Bird on a Limb Shoulder Bag by LB Artworks | 2. Letterpress Poppy Book Plates by Sweet Harvey | 3. Fern Wreath Journal by Night Owl Paper Goods | 4. 50 States Tea Towel by Pepper Sprouts

I'm especially liking those letterpress bookplates (number two).  I'm developing an affinity for letterpress items...they are so elegant and nice.  You wouldn't think the engraved texture would make that much of a difference in the design, but it really does.  Those bookplates would be cool if they were printed flat, but there's something extra special about the fact that they're letterpressed.  And the green flowery pattern - oh! - so pretty.  I love it.

Playing off of the idea that green is associated with Christmas on occasion, and because Christmas is just over one month away, I thought it would be appropriate to make gift tags for today's freebie.  There are four tags, and here is what they look like.


You can download a ZIP file right here.  It contains four JPG files (for those of you who want to get creative with re-sizing and such), as well as a PDF file for quick printing.  The terms of use are as usual - personal use, no selling them or claiming them as your own.  I hope you enjoy the tags!

P.S. The giveaway is still going on, so keep right on commenting!  Also, if you haven't followed my blog yet, you can do that and get an extra entry in the giveaway!

15 comments:

Katie said...

I always think of fresh-mown grass for green :)
I LOVE that bag/purse!

Meghan said...

I. LOVE. THAT. PURSE!!!!! and I LOVE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katie said...

I love olive green! green and pink are my favorite colors.

Bekah said...

That purse!! So cute

Anonymous said...

I love the purse! :) haha. I love the design of it, the shad of green, the color scheme, and the little bird. :)

sarah

Anonymous said...

oh and i forgot; what is the font you are using for all the colors at the beginning? the kind of cursive one...?

Elisabeth said...

I LOVE GREEN!!! :D Lime green is my absolute favorite color. And I LOVE the gift tags! They're so pretty! I especially like the colors on the fourth tag. ;)

chichi said...

when i think of green i think of mint leaves :)
great post!

Jessica said...

ahhh i love your rainbow week!! and i love olive green too lol :D

Mary said...

Green is so fresh and pretty! When I think of green I think of Spring. I love the gift tags you made!

mariah said...

Lovely, absolutely lovely

Christian said...

that plant looks like from Watkins glen

and everything is just wonderfully dandy

brooke slack said...

Wow Carrie those are great pics. I love the bag how it is in the woods and stuff and also i love the fern .

Carrie said...

Christian - It WAS from Watkins Glen. :) Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Aimee said...

Yeah, green always reminds me of spring =)

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!