Friday, November 19, 2010

Rainbow Week: Indigo



Today is another day about blue, but this time, we'll focus on darker shades, like royal blue, indigo, and navy blue.  Let's start off with some fun indigo and blue items from the internet.


1. Screenprinted Flourish Jersey Scarf by Sweet Harvey | 2. Navy Jute by Studio Calico | 3. Agapanthus on Blue Coin Purse by Oktak | 4. Moss Aquamarine and Labradorite Cascade Earrings by Allison Creates

Mm, yes, fun things!  I think those earrings are especially cute, and I love the presentation - it's so cool how the designer staged the photograph by hanging the earrings on the branch.  Neat-o.


One shade in the indigo color family is navy blue, and this is a very versatile color, especially for logos.  It provides just enough interest (as opposed to plain black), but it's not overpowering or distracting.  One such logo is the Old Navy logo.  I'm a big fan of Old Navy - both the story and the brand identity!


Let me tell you why I think this logo is so great.  Starting with the oval shape... well, it's classic and not too fancy or elaborate - just like the Old Navy image.  It also resembles a surf board, which goes right along with the beach-ish kind of style Old Navy tends to lean towards (especially in the summer).  The font is a perfect choice, in my opinion - it's strong and bold, but also laid back and not in-your-face.  A good style for Old Navy.  Furthermore, I really like the overall simple but memorable design of this logo.  It's just an oval with a logotype on top of it, but it signifies Old Navy in a way that people will remember.  Now that's what a truly great logo does.

With today's freebie, I know I can't come anywhere close to designing something as cool as the Old Navy logo, but I will at least follow their color scheme!  I've decided to give you a neutral holiday card for download.  It's navy blue on the outside with a simple design on the front.  It's designed to be printed two-on-a-page, and once you cut the cards apart, you can fold them in half and use the inside white part to write on.  If you click here, you can download a JPG file with the card in it.  I'd recommend copying it into Word, sizing it the way you want, and then printing.


It's hard to believe that the very last day of Rainbow Week is tomorrow!  Wow!  I sure have enjoyed this week, too, and it will be exciting to see who won the giveaway at the end of the week!  I'll announce it on Sunday.

14 comments:

Meghan said...

first to comment!! :) I love this color :)

Elisabeth said...

I love dark blue things! :D And rainbow week has been so fun! I can't believe it's almost over!

Mary said...

Dark blue is awesome! I love all of the indigo things, and the card you made is really sweet!

sarah b said...

I actually really like dark blue- particularly the color of your card, as well as royal blue. :-) I like how you incorporated the Old Navy logo into today's post. Awesome! I also really like those earrings. :-)

sarah

katie said...

I've really been enjoying rainbow week.. :)

Christian said...

i absolutly well love old navy

brooke slack said...

I love the color indigo
great earings and i love the cards

chichi said...

i love the earrings and the little coin purse :) and old navy, of course!!

ellie be said...

beautiful!!

mariah said...

It a wonderful color, Great post.

Katie said...

LOVE this shade of blue. The little coin purse is adorable! :D
Another excellent post, Carrie!

Jessica said...

ahhh those earrings are so pretty :D

bekah said...

awwwwwwwwww! that pouch/purse is too cute!!

Aimee said...

I love those earings! And that brush you used on the card is really pretty.

Post a Comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you!